Thursday, October 28, 2010

The night before Stella for Target is launched....

One more sleep before the release of the Stella McCartney for Target collection launches across Australia. 

It has been 3 years since Stella first collaborated with Target that was reportedly sold out in a record time of 7.5 minutes!!!!

It was in the year 2006 when I first invested in a (made in Italy) Stella McCartney black jacket (from her own collection) because I was simply mesmerized by her ultra sharp tailoring skills and her fabric choices. The first time I wore it, I was ‘Stellarised’…. I had the sleekest silhouette and felt the sense of being powerful yet at the same time being ultra feminine. Since that experience, I have always been a true fan of Stella and her designs have and always will play a part in my wardrobe.

I have to admit though that I don’t quite remember the designs or the fabrics used in the Stella for Target 2007 collection at all but I did remember distinctively these images as a result of the collection:-

1/ all those feisty women fighting in the aisles
2/ the odd slapping match & wrestle because everyone just grabbed whatever they had their hands on regardless if they were a size 8 and the piece of clothing was size 14
3/ the ripping of Stella’s designs off from the display mannequins…. Imagine doing that yourself at Harrods
4/ the massive explosion of Stella for Target anything that was listed on eBay an hour later but for 500% of the RRP.

Which led me to wonder why people were buying her 2007 collection for Target… was it because everyone else was??, that it was a Stella creation??, that it was way cheaper than her own line?? or simply so they could make a quick buck on eBay from this limited edition??

A couple of weeks ago I had a look at her 2010 designs for Target (designersfortarget.com.au/sm) and sussed out a couple of items that I would contemplate on trying – the Tulip shaped trench in white, the black lace dress, the wide leg black trousers looked nice on the catalogue and the model of course…. But I am sceptical and have to admit that somehow cheaper clothing shops hire a certain type of photographers that make their clothes look so damn good in the catalogue that when approached in real life, up close & personal, it looks crap… I know it will be Stella’s designs but it would also be Target’s budget on the choice of material and country of make which can make or break the pieces of a collection…  (FYI, don’t even bother with the accessories, they look awful…)  

I hear in 2007, people were queuing before dawn at the stores….

No comments:

Post a Comment